Sunday 27 November 2011

COLLECTOR: BARBER DAN

Age: 26
Occupation: Barber

Barber Dan was literally my friendly neighbourhood barber just off K Road, until he buggered off downtown where he now supplies tight fades to the white-collared masses.

Pretty much every guy I know who actually gives two-cents about his hair has had (or will have) a cut from Barber Dan. He is the epitome of gentlemen's grooming for the low-brow.

Dan's passion for classic cuts was born out of his interest in the rockabilly aesthetic, which also was his path to becoming one of the most tattooed dudes in Auckland city.

Read on for my interview with everyone's favourite barber...





























"I started getting tattooed when I was 19 - I don’t really know what I was up to, I just knew that I wanted heaps of tattoos. And I got this one on the back of my neck, it was this pretty shitty skull-butterfly thing, then I started working on my sleeves. After that I got some more traditional old-school ones, and after my sleeves, I started on my chest. Then I hated the one I first started with because it didn’t go with all my other ones… so I just covered it up. I don't really have many cover-ups but I've had some tattoos that I have changed – like I had a rat and I just chucked a skull head over the top of the rat’s head."


"When I started getting tattoos I wanted all the classic ones like daggers, skulls, roses and birds, things like that. I pretty much got all of those and then I saw neo-traditional stuff like whip-shading and heavy black and I started getting on that. I kind of went through phases… then I wanted heaps of home-job mongrel ones coz I didn’t really care. And then I started running out of space and I kinda cared... I stopped getting tattooed for about a year-and-a-half. And then I got back into it just hard-out."


"I’m probably the most heaviest tattooed, in terms of mainly a traditional bodysuit, for my age. I’ve only got something like 20-23 hours to go, then I’ll have a whole bodysuit. It’s all pretty solid, my arms and from my throat down to my pubes is just solid. So is my back, lower back and one of my ass-cheeks. My legs are all covered, I’ve just got one ass-check and the back of a thigh to go. Then I've just gotta fill in all the little gaps between. When I run out of space I’m gonna start going over one of my arms, and just fill it in with lots of dark pictures. A lot of the stuff on my arms and chest has heaps of colour, so im gonna add more black shading to them and make them more dark."


"Working as a barber I guess my tattoos give me a point of difference, the way I look and dress and stuff, I wouldn’t say there is many barbers like me around – that I have seen anyway. People know I’m all about barbering, because of my appearance. But it deters a lot of people as well. But I mostly get business from word of mouth, my haircuts speak for themselves."


If you are keen for cuts with Barber Dan you can visit him up at Cutting Crew
4/23 Shortland Street 



Photos taken on a Nikon D5100.

No comments:

Post a Comment