Thursday 1 December 2011

MY FIRST TATTOO CONVENTION

Here's a tip for new players: Just because it's Sunday, it's hot and you feel lazy DO NOT leave your best camera at home in favour for a novelty point 'n' shoot just because it's easier to carry. Especially when you are paying 20 bucks entry fee and the lighting of the location has all the charm of a shoebox with some pinholes poked in the top.  But after swiftly making use of the pop-up bar I crossed fingers and hoped no one would move, or even dare breathe, while being photographed... of course, they did.

I really had no idea what to expect from the Auckland International Tattoo Convention. Like the massive geeks we are, we had come to the ASB showgrounds a few weeks earlier to attend the Armageddon Expo, which was so incredibly packed I was on the verge of claustrophobically-induced panic attacks every time I went inside. However, the tattoo show was by comparison pretty chill, and there seemed to be a number of people taking advantage of flash sheets that had been prepared by some of the tattooists.

It was excellent to see the diverse range of people that are attracted to tattoo culture hanging out at the convention. In particular, I liked the old dudes wearing sawn-off tee shirts to exhibit their patchy and faded tatts. I always have a fondness for those fuzzy green markers of time.

Anyway, after much bitchin about the camera, here are some of the better pics from the day.


Dig this entry stamp.



I keep getting distracted by fez-dude in the back.



I was pretty scared she was gonna tell me off.



Hardcore is tattooing Linda Blair straight onto your doppelganger, sans stencil. 



A so-serene Amy Trouble being tattooed by Capilli Tupou.




Ho fucking hum.



My favourite sci-fi inspired flyer of the day.



Clare! Show us your tatts!



This photo speaks for itself really. Mad keen.



She hated me for taking her photo. Soz Dee!



Tims, bandanna, hotdog = all kinds of awesome.



Lady tattooists rule.



Luck Diamond Rich - the world's most tattooed person.



Santa Muerte: saviour of the working class.



I am saving the photo of his front for a special post.



Just another rad old dude.

November 26-27, 2011
ASB Showgrounds, Auckland


Photos taken on a Samsung MV800. A fliptop fucker that is no use to anyone unless you are a narcissist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment