Wednesday 8 February 2012

TATTOOIST: MIKE TEA

Ex-pat tattooist Mike Tea currently works at at Sideshow Tattoo and Green Lotus in Melbourne, but he came home for a couple of weeks and has been guesting at Sacred Tattoo.

Apparently he has been pretty busy up on K Road tattooing and doing split sheets with Dean Parkin and Capilli Tupou.

From next week he will be guesting alongside his sister Rachie at Two Hands Tattoo in Ponsonby. The siblings both have crazy mad skills and will be doing a split sheet together too.

Read on to find out about how Mike likes to brown paper bag it....


Mike Tea - Photo by Nicole Reid


How did you get into tattooing?

I watched my friends get tattoos, then I got tattoos, then I drew a lot and I swept the floor.


I would like to say special thanks to Tashi Dukanovic, Wade Johnston, Mitch13, Jane Laver and Dean Parkin for key words of wisdom and help along the way. 
Many other people deserve thanks too. Thanks!


What were you doing before then?

A decade worth of shit jobs and bad haircuts.



What's the best thing about being a tattooist?

Meeting other tattoo artists who are inspiring to work with who have been tattooing for years. People who I respect, who I see are still pushing themselves to be better.



How would you describe your specific style?

I like to do bold traditional tattoos, as far as me having a specific style within that, well, I hope something of myself comes out in the drawings.



Is there anything you would refuse to tattoo?

I would decline racist tattoos. 
I would like to politely decline religious tattoos too, if anyone ever asked me to do one.

I get quiet satisfaction from talking muscle bound dudes out of getting the entire lords prayer in script on their ribs. My imaginary friend talks a lot of shit too, I am not about to get it tattooed.


Also, when 18 year old kids come in with the bright idea of getting their hand/neck/face done because some shit band they like has tattoos.



What inspires you?

People doing good things with the time and resources they have.


I think if you are into something, give it your best shot, you can choose to work on yourself, or you can choose to work on Facebook status updates and watching the new season of "insert shit time-vampire TV show here".


I like the underdog who quietly works hard on something the love because they love it.



Can you tell me about your brown paper bag prints??

Hahahaaa well, I used to buy organic fruit and vege for lunch everyday and they would give it to me in a brown bag.

I wanted to do something with them, so I started buying sharpies and just drawing on them while I ate my capsicum and dates.


Little did I know that years later they would be valuable collectors items, and by valuable collectors items I mean they sit in an even bigger brown paper bag with drawings on it in my room under a couch.








Where are you working currently?

In Melbourne I work at Sideshow Tattoos from Sat - Tues, then I do Wed - Thurs at Green Lotus Tattoo. 



You are coming over to guest at Sacred and Two Hands - how did you hook that up?

I got my first tattoos from Dean years ago and still get tattoos from him. I mentioned I was coming over for a while and wanted to do some work over here and he offered me a spot at Sacred.


It's really an honour to work in the space alongside such great artists as Dan, Capilli, Hamish, Mark and Dean...it's been really cool so far, fun tattoos and I have learned a lot.


I am at Sacred until Feb 11, then I move to Two Hands Tattoo in Ponsonby from Feb 13 - Feb 19 or 20 (don't remember which haha).


Stefan has a great crew and I am really excited to work there. My sister Rachie Tea also works from Two Hands alongside Victor, Josh, Lukis, Kieran, Apro and Stefan himself.

It's going to be great to spend time learning from all of them.



Any other plans while you are in NZ?

I am turning 31, so I plan to do a backside 180 over the drain in Milford for old time sake.











1 comment: